About SME Committees
Subject Matter Expert (SME) Committees are comprised of law enforcement professionals who volunteer their time and contribute professional technical expertise to assist the POST Board and staff by:
- Providing recommendations to the board and staff regarding skills training programs, academic curricula and POST rules;
- Reviewing documents and approving/denying academy programs, lesson plans, training sites and skills instructors;
- Assisting POST staff with academy inspections and skills test-outs.
Each committee is comprised of 12 to 20 members and includes a chairperson, appointed by the POST Director, and a representative member of the POST Board. SME Committee members reflect the wide variety of law enforcement agencies throughout the state including large and small police departments and sheriff's offices, law enforcement agency and community college academies, and state criminal justice agencies. Rank and assignment are not factors in the selection process. Each committee also includes lay members with appropriate expertise if available.
SME Roster in the Excel spreadsheet format is available at the bottom of the page.
- Committee Membership
Prospective SME members must submit a completed application, supporting documentation, and letter of agency support. Please see below for specific qualifications for each committee.
- Committee Resources
- SME Committee Meeting Schedule 2023
- SME Reimbursement Policy
- SME Reimbursement Request
- Per Diem Rates Lookup
- W-9 Form
- Lesson Plan Review Guidelines
- Lesson Plan Template (updated 01/13/2022)
- Sample Lesson Plan (added 11/2022)
SME Test-Out Grade Sheets:
UPCOMING ONE-DAY TEST OUT DATES for POST Skills Testing and POST Certification Examination
All test outs will take place at Adams CSO, FLATROCK Regional Training Facility, unless otherwise noted.